What happens in a Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction?
Take Levaquin for instance, the drug company in its application for approval stated that 87% of the drug is recovered unchanged in urine in 48 hours and approx 4% is recovered unchanged in feces, that totals to 91%. Off the remaining percentage, they found that 5% broke down into desmethyl and Various N-oxide metabolites. Those metabolites have little relevant pharmacological activity.
However overwhelming anecdotal information has taught us that in something different is happening in some people. The fluoroquinolone (FQ) molecule metabolizes improperly and there is no way of knowing ‘who’ will metabolize it incorrectly. For the layman this means that it appears the drug breaks down and is not excreted appropriately but instead breaks into pieces called metabolites. The metabolites remain in cells adversely interfering with cellular operation.
It is my opinion, that once the metabolites start circulating, especially intracellularly, it is a virtual crapshoot as to how the FQ metabolites interfere with cellular operation. It is like an endless puzzle where one clue leads to another. The reason for this is because the FQ’s can interfere in numerous different ways with the normal operation of the cell. There are science papers showing FQ metabolites interfering with lysosomes, cellular signaling protein both internal and external, membrane integrity, and on and on.
You can endlessly speculate, and people do, about what happens in the cell, and you know what? You would probably be right about most educated guesses you made, because the possibilities as to the type of damage to the cell, once the metabolites are present, are virtually endless due to so many variables.
Because of the this, all the body systems have the ability to be affected. In addition, the FQ’s exert tremendous epigenetic pressure on both the nuclear and mitochondrial DNA within the cell. This can ‘switch on’ genes in combination that can lead to pathogenic (disease) processes.